30 Trending African Hairstyles to Check Out Today
While we think and assume of different possible hairstyles for several occasions, we never think of African hairstyles much, given that they are quite different than most of the other country styles. But let us tell you, these African haircuts are among also most well-known and popular styles. The latest African hairstyles have gained massive popularity given the versatile brushing and grooming effects along with stylish and edgy vibes. We give you with best African hairstyles which can easily fit into anyone willing to try. They will look stunning and gorgeous without a doubt. Continue reading to know more about these African hairstyles.
30 Beautiful African Hairstyles for Women with Pictures:
Here is a list of top 30 choices for African hairstyles with images which are suitable for all types of face shapes.
1. Cornrow and Braided Bun:
This is a very popular African girls hairstyles. It represents how cornfields look like with rows in between the corn crops. Thus it is named cornrows hairstyle. If you want to go a little afro with your hairstyle, you may hop into a nice parlour and get a hairstyle look similar to this one, and it looks stylish. The tresses from the nape area can be braided down, and then all of it can be coiled up in the form of a chignon.
- Best Season to Try: Wear this style for summers at best looks.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in late 20 and 30s are well fit to try this hairstyle out.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Oval and diamond face with curly hair is the perfect fit to try out this one.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Women can wear this with nice dresses or casual pants to look good for outings with friends.
2. Retro Afro Hairstyle:
This was a trendy natural African hairstyle of the retro era. You can find similar resemblance in movies like Austin Powers Gold member. In this movie, Beyoncé Knowles is seen to be sporting the same hairstyle though in the golden hue. You can always add some dash of colouring to your hair to make them in line with the new trend. For fun, you can sport this type of hairstyle with a hair wig. Today fun wigs are available in costume stores which you can get your hands on. Would you try this out for your next party?
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this for women in the age of 30s only.
- Best Season to Try: Any season and time are good to go in this style.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Any hair and face type can try out this style nicely.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Women can wear this with a cute dress to go to a party.
3. Natural Braided Hair:
Some African women hair naturally wavy and very coiled up hair. They like to keep their hair in braids to avoid the mess. This is a popular braided hairstyle for African hair look. Even you can sport this hairstyle. If you are not good with braided hairstyles, then you can consult a good hairstylist for this. You need to maintain this hairstyle with proper shampooing. Use of serum on hair keeps this type of haircut in shiny condition.
- Best Season to Try: Wear this in winters for the best look.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 30s age and 40s are well suited to try out this one.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Any face and hair type can try out this one quickly.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Try this style for special themed parties with nice dresses.
4.Braided Puff African Haircut:
This style is a unique and contemporary traditional African hairstyles. If you are wondering how it can look both contemporary and traditional, yes you heard it right. And this gives modern look and vibes easily yet is upholding the traditional braiding patterns and intricate style. Women here is seen flaunting her style statement boldly, and this is one of the most amazing and popular looks to check out for.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is good to try this versatile style out.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 20s and 30s are well fit here to figure out.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Wear this with a nice long dress for gatherings with friends.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Wear this style quickly for women elongated face and any hair type.
5. Afro Curly Haircut:
This is somewhat like the afro retro hairstyle. In the retro era and even now in 2020 this hairstyle is quite a popular choice for hairstyle among celebrities worldwide. You cannot possibly recreate this hairstyle at home. For this, you will need a parlour visit and also regular parlour touch-ups for maintaining this look. If you have got used to regular bob haircut styles, then it’s time for you to sport something like this. Will you try it?
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this style for women in 20s and 30s only.
- Best Season to Try: Winters and monsoons are well suited to try this cut out.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: This style is the perfect fit with nice formal wear for office looks.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Those with curly hair and round or square face can try this one out.
6. Front Fringe Black Hair:
Here comes the popular simple look which is fashionable right now. If you are looking for a transformative look with unique gesture and style, then you may want to pick up this one than others. Those who love to flaunt it out with style and yet remain grounded can rather like this one too than others. This requires professional expertise while having this haircut.
- Best Face Shape: Round and oval face shape can try this look.
- Best Hair Type: Any hair texture can pick up this style.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 40s can look gorgeous here.
- Perfect Season: any season in the year is good to go in this style.
- Preferable Outfits: Wear only casual tops and jeans in this style than others.
- Suitable Occasion: One can wear this look for outings with friends or family.
7. Coiled Bob Hairstyle:
This is a very out of the ordinary women long curly bob hairstyles look. If you think you want to experiment and have a new face transformation of yours, then this makeover is a must go. However, this look can only be done by professional parlour people who are quite experienced and well known to style. These coiled curls are must try if you already have curly hair and want to embrace them as well as flaunt them well.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this for women in 30s only.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is outstanding to go in this style.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Those with nice skirts and tops can try it out for parties.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Round and square face with any hair type are the best fit here.
8. Messy Afro Curled Bob Hairstyle:
This is amazing and gorgeous African hair braiding styles updos which are quite popular. It’s a popular hairstyle choice for many women. This is a curly up hairstyle which is quite suited for women who already have messy curls. Try this style out if you love to try out something amazing and gorgeous, and yet quite stylish to flaunt it without a doubt. Not so much difficult to recreate, but proper assistance may be necessary. A medium-hold hairspray can be useful.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is outstanding to go in this hairstyle.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this style if you are in the 20s and 30s for the best look.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Women can wear a nice long gown to go to fancy parties in this style.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Women with oval and diamond face with curly hair are well suited in this look.
9. Coloured Long Dreadlocks Hairstyle:
As mentioned earlier, the dreadlocks look is one of the most famous afro hairstyles to date. If you are looking for that perfect extraordinary look, you can try the dreadlocks look. Dreadlocks can be left long or can be curled up further and coloured with dark reds or golden for that extra special look.
- Best Season to Try: Winters are well suited in this style.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 30s are only the best in this hairstyle.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Try it out if you have any face and hair type easily.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Try this African short haircut with a nice dress in a quirky way for parties.
10. The Simple Pony:
Nothing can beat the record when it comes to the fastest made hairstyle, which is a simple enough pony. Now the early mornings are very busy. With the work hours slowly progressing and you trying to figure out which outfit to sport today, the safest option to go for is a well-made pony. Back brush your hair well and detangle the locks properly so that you can have a smooth pony. This is among the new variant of black hairstyles one must not miss.
- Best Face Shape: Oval, elongated, and long face shape can try this look.
- Best Hair Type: Long straight hair is a perfect fit for this style than others.
- Ideal Age Group: Those women in the late 20s can wear and rock this style.
- Perfect Season: Winters is an appropriate time to try this style out.
- Preferable Outfits: Wear this with casual tank top and shorts to look amazing.
- Suitable Occasion: Wear this kind of style for date nights or simple parties.
11. The Big Deal:
The essence of the African women hairstyle that singer Brandy Norwood is sporting is to maximize the volume of the usual natural hair. Being curly, she has no difficulty putting her hair in place like that. She has transformed herself into a bright looking bold person with this easy look. The distinct side parting is equally trendy and brags of a chic hairdo experience from her stylist’s end. This is among the top trending simple African hairstyles to try out.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 20s and 30s are suitable for this style.
- Best Season to Try: Monsoons and winters are best times here to try.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Women can wear casual western wear for office or college going times.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Wear this style if you have an oval and elongated face with curly or wavy hair.
12. Flaunt Out The Curls:
Another among African hairstyle look and ideas, if you have wavy hair, are these nice stylish curls. If you have nice curly hair yet, you can transform them into these beautiful curls in this manner. You will surely appear super stylish and trendy, without a doubt. Women who love to have a stylish appearance always should not miss out on this gorgeous and flawless look at all.
- Best Face Shape: Any face shape women can try this style.
- Best Hair Type: Curly hair texture is best suited to this look than others.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in the age group of the late 20s to 40s, anyone can try this look.
- Perfect Season: Winters and spring is the best time to try this style.
- Preferable Outfits: Wear this with a beautiful dress or top and skirts than others.
- Suitable Occasion: Parties are a good occasion to flaunt this look.
13. Asymmetrical Curls:
We can see Teyonah Parris here, who more than once has confessed to her hair never obeying her demands. This is sort of hard to believe, looking at how gorgeous her African hairstyle picture looks with her all smiles and everything. She comes in with a splash and has probably most certainly managed to impress you. The look is adorable and the sleekness equally charming to look at.
- Best Season to Try: Summers go well in this haircut.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 20s are the perfect fit to flaunt this in style.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Any face and hair type women can easily try this one out.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: This goes very well with nice dresses or gowns for cocktail events.
14. Small Black High Pony:
Another of cute yet sexy short hairstyle for black hair is this one. Here this is quite a common, one which we see in everyday life, but yet it all depends on how best to flaunt it out and present to the world. Seen here is quite a simple black updo hairstyles, yet we can see that the women here are styling it across with her lovely looks and beautiful gestures.
- Best Face Shape: Oval and elongated face shapes can try this style out than others.
- Best Hair Type: Any hair texture can flaunt this style out.
- Ideal Age Group: All women in the age of 30s and 40s can look radiant and youthful in here.
- Perfect Season: Wear this on any season as you wish to look trendy.
- Preferable Outfits: Casual wears and Sleek dress can add to the texture in here.
- Suitable Occasion: Girls night out and parties and it is good as regular office wear too.
15. Side Swept Hairstyle:
Among African haircuts, most can either make or break your look given the level of attention they need, even if they are bed and stacked neatly. This idea here is to come along and go on with the free-falling curls. Corinne Bailey Rae is seen here with her beautiful hair, which impresses us so quickly and so perfectly. Need inspiration for the day? Well, here’s one to remember.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 20s are nicely suited to this style.
- Best Season to Try: Winters is well suited to try out this haircut.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: If you have an oval and diamond face with any hair type, go with this one.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: One can try this long African hairstyle for music or dance parties or date nights with a cute dress.
16. Crown Braid Updo:
This hairstyle is as creative as it gets. And in case your hair isn’t too long to get to this braid on your head, either skip to the next one (sad luck!) else, use an attachable chignon braid to get the gorgeous look without any mess. Leave the little side swept bangs around to steal the show, but you can still rock any party going well stacked as well.
- Best Season to Try: The summer season is the best in this cut.
- Ideal Age Group: Any age group below 40 can try out this haircut.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Women with oval and elongated face with any hair type can go with this one.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Women can wear this style with a nice sleek, edgy dress for parties or cocktail events or dinners.
17. Highlighted Natural Hair:
If you have tapered hair type as your natural one, take the African haircut to the next level by adding a little colour to the scene. Here, we see red, and that is just about perfect because this ensures that your face will stay brightened and a lipstick of the same hue is easily available. Your outfit cannot be too flashy, though if you want to look chic.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this style for women in 50s only.
- Best Season to Try: Any time and season are good to try this quickly.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Women with any face and curly hair can try out this one.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: This traditional African hairstyle goes well with traditional dresses on festive events.
18. Long Classy Hairstyle:
If you have long spirals like most Africans that you don’t want to hide away in braids, here’s a way out. This style is very tender yet feminine and beautiful. The length is cool and has an inspiring effect on it. You can enjoy the hairstyle and sport it to casual occasions and formal ones just as well. And trust us, the look might be hard to maintain but is worth the trouble.
- Best Season to Try: Winters and monsoons are well suited here to try.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 20s and early 30s are suitable for this hairstyle.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Those with any face and wavy or curly hair can try out this one.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: This long African hairstyle is suitable for college fests or events with nice trendy dresses.
19. A-Line Hairstyle:
This African women hairstyle is entirely new and unique, isn’t it? The hairstyle has become quite popular since then and is yet in trend, and we are sure this style is here to stay. Women who love to flaunt their thin and not dense hair are best suitable for this style. The hairstyle gained quite the hype and was popularized by fashion blogs on so many levels.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 30s are well suitable for this style.
- Best Season to Try: Wear this style for women in winters and summers.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Those with curly hair and heart or oval face can try this one for best looks.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Try out with nice casual yet edgy western pants and shirts to go out on date nights.
20. Carefree Spirals:
When you want to work on this hairstyle, one of the best things to remember is that the loading into different style can make the hair quality bad. Instead, when you trim it, comb it occasionally this way, until it grows back longer. The hairstyle itself adds more feature to your face and helps bring out your best look with quality and grace.
- Best Season to Try: Wear this in winters for best trending looks.
- Ideal Age Group: If you are in the 20s and 30s till 40 years you are good to go here.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Nice skirt and top can look good here during office times.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Oval and square face women with any hair type can try this one for best looks.
21. Front Bun:
This African girls hairstyle is the new hype and trend now. Women who love to get experimental and assumed can try this style out totally. This is a new one in the town and the fashion world yet with traditional vibe and modern looks. There is nothing to hate about this beauty, and the bun in place makes it look so modern and chic. This will surely give you that edgy looks and vibes to carry with you.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in 30s age and 40s are well suited here.
- Best Season to Try: Wear this one during summers for best looks.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Women with formal wear can try this for office times.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Those with any face and hair type can try out this hairstyle.
22. Box Braid Bun:
The bulky and natural African hairstyles are here again with the variant. This is looking altogether different and is best suited to women who are in trend and fashion field. If you are willing to go on bold show and events, then this will suit you best with the right amount of grace, style, vibe and boldness you would be showing with this style. This hairstyle is certainly well received by several of fashion critics.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this style if you are in 40s age.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is perfect to go in this haircut.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Oval and diamond face with any hair can try this one.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Wear this only with quirky and bold styles and clothes for such events.
23. Natural Side Twisted Hair:
This African short haircut is new in trend again. This style is unique and unusual that it will put an end to several new styles for a while. This style here is seen to be paired with an oversized coat which looks amazing here. Women who love to look edgy and yet quite bold and loud can try this one out. The look has come around.
- Ideal Age Group: If you are in the 20s, then this goes good with you.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is totally fit to try out in this hairstyle.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Wear this style for any face type and wavy or curly hair.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Wear a nice long dress or edgy dress with coats to look good in social gatherings times.
24. The Dreadlock Messy Bun:
Well this one is certainly new for us, isn’t it? This bun hairstyle for African women are new to us, and isn’t well received at first glance, however, is unique and bold. Women who love to be casual and basic yet want to have their moments with them can try this one. This will surely appease the crowd, make you stand away from the crowd and give you all the attention easily.
- Best Season to Try: Summers are the perfect match to try this haircut out.
- Ideal Age Group: Wear this hairstyle for any age women quickly until 40 years.
- Suitable Hair and Face Type: Round and oval face with any hair type can fit this well.
- Perfect Occasion and Outfit: Wear this with equally quirky dress to look great on parties.
25. Part Braided Hair:
This is an amazing style for black hair and one of our favourite. If you want super stylish and hot bold looks, then you may like this style than others. Women who are conscious of their style statement and work wonders with their appearance may prefer this look of the sleek side braid. This is little time taking, yet the result is amazing right.
- Best Face Shape: Women with square, oval and heart face shape can try this.
- Best Hair Type: Wear this for curly and wavy hair texture only to look fantastic and stand out!
- Ideal Age Group: This is amazing for those in younger age groups before 30 years.
- Perfect Season: Winters is good to go in this look than other seasons.
- Preferable Outfits: Wear a cute sleek dress or jumpsuit in this style.
- Suitable Occasion: This is a good black hairstyle for prom or attending similar kind of party events!
26. Hat of Braids:
This is very stylish and will look god mostly on women with a round face, and long faces will look all the longer. This hairstyle is simple and unique both. If you are interested in looking feminine and have an eye for stylish looks daily, you should not miss this cute braided hairstyles for black hair. They are easy to make, and all you need to do is roll up the braids in the right way.
- Matching Face Shape: Oval and round face shapes women can try this style out.
- Best Hair Texture: Wear this style if you have smooth and straight hair texture.
- Ideal Season: Women in 20s are best for this hairstyle look.
- Best Age Group: One can wear this hairstyle for those in the age of 20s and early 30s only.
- Perfect Outfits: Wear a lovely gown or lock frock to look great in this style.
- Suitable Occasion: Wedding receptions or pre-wedding festivities, events are all good to go in this look.
27. Funky African Hairstyles:
If you are very fond of funky and quirky styles and looks, are bold and confident in flaunting out a particular style, you should not miss out on this stylish appearance. These African hairstyles are extremely challenging, but as we can see, the result at the end is stylish and unique. One may require professional assistance to achieve this style.
- Matching Face Shape: Females in round, rectangular and oval face shape can try this one out.
- Best Hair Texture: Wear this with any hair texture as you wish.
- Ideal Season: Those women who are interested can try this during summers and spring.
- Best Age Group: Women in the age of 30s are best for a look into this style.
- Perfect Outfits: Tank top and shorts and similar simple outfits can do here.
- Suitable Occasion: One can prefer to wear this style during music parties or themed occasions.
28. Simple Braided African Hairstyle:
Here comes a super quick braided African hairstyle. It is super simple and easy, all you need to do is two tight braids from both sides of the crown. If you are interested in simple and easy-going styles, then this may suit you better. It is one of the popular and well-known ones which can be done easily without any assistance as well.
- Matching Face Shape: All face shapes women can figure this style out.
- Best Hair Texture: Wear this style with long hair with any texture.
- Ideal Season: Summers is a good time to try this style, monsoons can also fit well.
- Best Age Group: Women below 25 years may look good in this style.
- Perfect Outfits: Ethnic outfits are good to go and style in this look.
- Suitable Occasion: Wear this look during family gatherings or outings to look good.
29. African Heavy Bun:
African bun hairstyles much inspire this. Here we can see women flaunting out this quirky style out in ease. If you are quite bold and confident and want to get inspired from this cultural bun variant, then you may want to try this one out. It requires assistance and helps while doing this one both enthusiastic in fashion will love this result.
- Matching Face Shape: Women in any face shape can try this hairstyle.
- Best Hair Texture: Wear this style if you have curly and wavy hair.
- Ideal Season: Summers is best fit to look good in this style.
- Best Age Group: This variant of black African American braided hairstyles inspired is good to go for women in the early 20s to mid-20s.
- Perfect Outfits: Casual t-shirt and jeans or shorts are good to go in here.
- Suitable Occasion: Wear this style casually for outings with friends or date nights.
30. Fishtail Hairstyle:
Here come the super cute fishtail hairstyle for African women. If you are interested in intricate styles and designs with cute hair look, then this fishtail braid may be the apt one for you. You can try this style out totally for looking gorgeous and surely winning attention from every corner. Women who are in love with new fashion statements should know this must!
- Matching Face Shape: Round and square face shape women can try this variant.
- Best Hair Texture: Any hair texture is good to go in this look.
- Ideal Season: Summers and spring is the best time here.
- Best Age Group: Those in ages of the 20s are good to go in this style.
- Perfect Outfits: Nice ethnic outfit and dress can look perfect in this look.
- Suitable Occasion: Wear this cute braids for short hair during family occasions and celebrations.
Here are a few tips and suggestions from us to make your African hairstyles better,
- It all depends on how you take care of hair. The hair should look fine and well healthy hence make sure you follow regular hair care routine.
- Braided styles require expertise. Hence always make sure you take help of professional while having African braided hairstyles on you.
- They should be done with keenness and care. Apply hair spray at end to make sure hairstyle stays for long. Do not shampoo on the day of styling at any cost.
- Apply good oil every week to make sure hair is well nourished without damage and also to prevent damage and dullness.
We hope these guide on African hairstyles are well useful and attracted by you. These styles not just include traditional and only common ethnic African haircuts but also has several modern and stylish statements. You can easily pick up the most favourite among them and show your passion towards them by turning out to look bold and edgy. Rock these looks and tell us how you feel about them after you try out.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Is African haircut well suited for women over 60 years?
Ans: A woman of 60 years age can also try out African hairstyles. Pick out a good traditional look for best style and vibes easily.
Q2. Can African hairstyles be carried over for days without smudging?
Ans: Yes, generally, there are tricks on how best African braided styles are done without smudging for days. However, one requires professional to do that and also further one needs to follow the steps the saloon tells on how to care for it.
Q3. Are regular African hairstyles braiding well for hair?
Ans: These African haircuts are regularly followed in several places across the globe. Hence it all depends on how well you take care of your hair and have good hair healthy routine. Then you can easily pick them out even for regular braiding use.
Q4. Can even kid below 20 years wear African haircuts?
Ans: Yes, these styles are quite versatile, and women of every age can try out different variants as you wish. Hence pick out a cute style as you feel and try them out free for kids.